Advice Needed

MandoPatriot

Hey guys, been a while since I've been around but I have an issue I would like some advice on...

I'm 24 years old and I am seeing early signs of carpal tunnel in my left hand (primary keyboard hand). I haven't played a single video game for about 2 weeks because of my hand bothering me and my fear that it will become worse. I am really worried about the long term affects of this, hence my dilemma.

I am a big time gamer and I love spending hours a day playing my favorite games. I built my current PC from the ground up and it has suited me well. I have been thinking about dismantling it and selling it off to purchase a cheap AMD A-series laptop for minor gaming/general computing needs. Obviously, if I go this route my gaming days are over besides some minor games every once in a while.

Totaling it all up, I believe I could get around $1200-$1500.

Any advice/tips/info for me? As I type this my hand is already becoming uncomfortable, but I would hate to give up something I really cherish. Thanks in advance for the help.

I don't really know what to tell you other than that you're screwed. Both my parents had surgery on both hands because if it. I can already feel pain in my hands and wrists due to it, and I'm only 19.

What do you feel? Pain? Numbness? You should do additional research on your symptoms and find out what exactly it is or go check it out with a doctor. 

Wikipedia: There are some who believe that carpal tunnel syndrome is simply a universal label applied to anyone suffering from pain, numbness, swelling, and/or burning in the radial side of the hands and/or wrists. When pain is the primary symptom, carpal tunnel syndrome is unlikely to be the source of the symptoms. As a whole, the medical community is not currently embracing or accepting trigger point theories due to lack of scientific evidence supporting their effectiveness.

Having managed mfg. and assembly operations for most of my adult life I can tell you that CTS can be a debilitating disability if not properly treated and cared for.  While many of my employees who have suffered CTS were older than you, there isn't any question that CTS is a progressive condition and worsens as you age and if you continue to do as you have always done.  There are other potential causes of CTS other than repetitive or strenuous work using the hands and wrists though.  In some cases genetics come into play, as do underlying medical conditions such as weight (over-weight), diabetes etc.

Some research scientists and medical doctors have claimed that repetitive work does not cause, affect or impact CTS, but from my experience repetitive motions or strenuous use of the hands and wrist can definitely produce symptoms and pain caused by CTS.

If you haven't already visited a doctor specializing in CTS then I recommend that you do so and try to nip this in the butt as quickly as possible.  There are lots of alternatives for correcting the problem and managing the pain and not all of them require surgery.

Good luck.

Definitely see a doctor and make sure that is what you have. I thought that I had it when in fact I had your basic tennis elbow caused largely by resting my elbow on the arm of my chair while at the pc and a few of the routines I was doing at the gym. I was able to stop the pain by switching out my chair for one with no arm rests and doing some recommended forearm exercises.

I'd go see a chiropractor about it. There could be a pinched nerve or something causing the pain and a chiropractor can be able to correct it. My mom had something similar in her wrists several years ago and after a few visits to a chiropractor, no pain.

Yea I saw a doctor today actually. He said it's definitely the right symptoms, and playing video games doesn't help even if its not CTS. With my job (heavy equipment mechanic), I get a lot of wear and tear because of using lots of air/power/hand tools, and being on the computer for even an hour a day is not good. I have a brace, and pain meds, and some exercises  but doc said I should really consider a different job or quit using the computer, or I may have to consider surgery, etc. I have a wife and 2 kids to support so I cannot  be selfish and try to find another job. After talking with my wife about this situation, I have decided to stop playing games and tear down my PC. If, in the future, my hand gets better I might get a mid-range laptop for playing lower-end games (or even a console), but my days of playing Skyrim are over. =( Thanks for all the input guys and for your support. I will keep you all updated as this goes along, hopefully I don't have any lasting problems.

I use to get pain in the wrists quite a bit too.  Playing console games over PC games did actually help out, but what helped more was taking breaks every now and then to stretch the wrists out and to work on my posture when I am at the PC (tho my current posture is making me a liar) as it reduces most of the stress.  Body mechanics is the #1 thing.  Then when working on exercises to strengthen the wrists as the stronger they are the less prone they are.