What would be a better upgrade?

nickk47

I have a laptop with an AMD dual core 1.8ghz and 512KB cache, and Radeon HD 3200, 3GB ram.

I can run Dota 2 with the lowest settings, but I just want it to run just a little bit more smoother. Even 2-5 more FPS would be sweet.

Would upgrading the CPU to something like a 2.2ghz and 1MB cache be beneficial to running the game smoother? I think the cache will make a difference in gaming right?

My other upgrade suggestion was going to be upgrading the RAM to 4GB, since the IGP uses shared RAM and this would also mean it will run 2x2GB dual channel...but I don't think Dota 2 maxes out my RAM anyways so...idk.

Also, does upgrading the CPU kinda boost the GPU side of the performance as well since it is an IGP?

Edited by nickk47

I know, these are basically the only upgrades I am able to do haha

@ El_Capitan

After googling around for the performance factors that cache has, it appears that the cache size makes a significant difference in gaming but not in benches.
Source:http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cache-size-matter,1709.html
Can anyone confirm this?

And thats a good idea. I didn't know you could overclock IGPs, but after a few googling, found out I can. I will do that tonight and if Im satisfied with it, then I won't even have to upgrade my CPU!

My desktop got stolen :(

$12 for Turion X2 2.0GHz 1MB cache or $20 for Turion X2 2.1GHz 1MB cache

I can OC both of these about +200 MHz without touching the voltage. (Assuming they are just as OC-able as my current one)
Both those chips are 65nm while mine is 90nm so it should run cooler too, and maybe better battery life?

$25 for an identical Samsung 2GB ddr2-800 ram. 

I am convinced that this is a good upgrade because when I checked how much memory the videocard uses, it maxes out its dedicated memory and uses ~100 MB of the shared memory. Having identical 4GB of Dual-Channel ram instead of single channel mismatching ram would benefit the videocard imo. Correct me if I am totally off the grid here.

Also a good news, I OC'ed the IGP and it is now running at 675MHz from 500MHz stock. It was a BIG bump in performance, as I am now playing at 1024x600 pretty smoothly (I was playing at a mere 800x400 or something before). Now if I can get it to be super smooth in 5v5 fights at this resolution, my goal for this laptop is complete! It crashed at 700mhz though XD

Edited by nickk47

Thanks!
I went and ordered the ram XD

At this point I'm more concerned about the current CPU's temperature.

I never touched the voltages but it seems like it is running hotter than before. Can the temperature of the CPU go higher because I increased the frequency?? 82 Celsius is pretty hot...but it doesnt go any higher.

If you can upgrade the cpu for $20 I'd go for it. Even if you dont get an improvement in fps (Im willing to bet it will help) a 65nm core should help offset the extra power the IGP is using (even though you didnt raise the voltage it will use more power)

Good point...upgrading to that 65nm cpu will surely help me in terms of battery life as well.

Just a question, my optical drive will not respond to anything I do. Device Manager recognizes it, but when I press the eject button, it wont respond, and even if I manually put a disk in, it won't spin. Is it dead?

Sounds like it.  The fact that the device manager recognizes it would indicate that the drive is at minimum receiving power (you can verify that by booting into your BIOS and confirm that the optical drive is listed there too).  But there are small electrical motors that power the spindle and the ejection tray.  One of those could be bad.