Memtest86+ fails within a few seconds with about 8 errors, then no mor

Hello. I'm putting together a retro-gaming rig and I've encountered a problem. The motherboard is a QDI Kudoz 7x with 3 RAM slots + an AMD AthlonXP 2100+. The result of Memtest is always the same - it shows about 8 errors within the first few seconds of testing (so it's probably test 0 that fails), but after that it continues without any further errors. I have 4 sticks of DDR1 RAM (2 each from different manufacturers and different speeds). I've tried installing them individually into different slots. CMOS settings have been reset, I've tried manually adjusting memory timings etc., but the result is always the same. Is it possible that it's actully the CPU that's failing, say the L2 Cache? Thanks.

Yes, same result. I know for a fact that at least 2 of the 4 RAM sticks work 100%, so I guess either the motherboard or the CPU is faulty. It seems weird, though, that all 3 RAM slots would fail ...

Great news, I seem to be getting somwhere! After loading the BIOS fail-safe defaults (instead of the optimized defaults), Prime95 has been running stable for half an hour now. Before, it would crash after about 5 mins. Time to zone-in on the BIOS setting that's causing this ... @Braegnok, I don't have any options like that, except for USB-keyboard support.

When running MemTest, it's best to disable USB support in your BIOS, as in some cases it will cause false errors.

Edit : testing @ default settings, is good also.

Edited by Braegnok

I'm baffled... The system is now running rock stable at even tighter BIOS and RAM settings than before, no sign of any errors. Ah well, lesson learned. If anyone experiences the same symptoms - namely, if you install some RAM into a machine and you're 100% certain that the RAM works, you might try running the BIOS with fail-safe defaults. BTW, I cleared the CMOS like three time before, but that always loads the optimized defaults.

I'm baffled... The system is now running rock stable at even tighter BIOS and RAM settings than before, no sign of any errors. Ah well, lesson learned. If anyone experiences the same symptoms - namely, if you install some RAM into a machine and you're 100% certain that the RAM works, you might try running the BIOS with fail-safe defaults. BTW, I cleared the CMOS like three time before, but that always loads the optimized defaults.

Possible result of cleaning up the accumulated dusts and unwanted particles. :)

No, not really:) It turns out it was most probably the tRCD timing. In BIOS, it's currently set to 3, but Aida64 reports it as 5. Works like a charm though. Also, the BIOS doesn't seem to know how to read the SPD timings properly, they're completely off, so I've set them manually. Oh, and another extra piece of advice for those of you who might want to get an older system up and running - WaybackMachine is your friend if you're looking for a BIOS for an old motherboard whose manufacturer and their website no longer exists:)

Basically, the only reason I brough this zombie to life was to utilize a soundcard that uses both A3D1.0, EAX1.0/2.0 and DirectSound3D capabilities along with Sensaura's HRTF algorithms. Thief 1 sure sounds great now with headphones and it's real easy to tell where your opponents are.

Edited by Enron x86

No, not really:) It turns out it was most probably the tRCD timing. In BIOS, it's currently set to 3, but Aida64 reports it as 5. Works like a charm though. Also, the BIOS doesn't seem to know how to read the SPD timings properly, they're completely off, so I've set them manually. Oh, and another extra piece of advice for those of you who might want to get an older system up and running - WaybackMachine is your friend if you're looking for a BIOS for an old motherboard whose manufacturer and their website no longer exists:)

Basically, the only reason I brough this zombie to life was to utilize a soundcard that uses both A3D1.0, EAX1.0/2.0 and DirectSound3D capabilities along with Sensaura's HRTF algorithms. Thief 1 sure sounds great now with headphones and it's real easy to tell where your opponents are.

I knew it ;), timings are sneaky little devils.... Edited by boinker
language