I am trying to make a sort of guide, so I do have some pics, but they are not completely done just yet because I am working on dampening the cups now.
So in essence I started this project with some basic supplies. Two drivers from the audio technica ath ad900x (which audio technica will sell to you if you call them up), some 16 gauge wire which was a MASSIVE mistake (get some cat 5 eathernet cable instead if you want to build something like this. 16 gauge is just WAYYYYY too thick).
I soldered a positive and a negative wire to the driver, and twisted the two together so they were nice and neat. After which I sleeved it, and I think we all know how to sleeve wire here, so I won't go into any detail. I did find a 3.5 mm to 3.5mm audio cable lying around the house, so I cut one end off of the cable and attached it t the cable of the drive to test it. Thankfully it worked because I took a complete guess as to which side of the driver was positive and ground and I guessed on the 3.5mm cable as well for that matter.
In the process of using the worlds worst soldering gun I burned myself on different spots on my hand. What I learned and would like to tell you is DON'T USE CRAPPY SOLDERING GUNS!!!!!!!!!! I bought myself a weller soldering kit for under 40 bucks. It came with a really powerful soldering gun that is trigger activated so it won't be hot unless you want it to be, and it came with various tips and solder, and for 35 bucks at lowes, there is NO reason for you to be using a POS 5 dollar soldering gun.
For the cups, I got some quarter inch thick wood, and used a CD for a template. The idea is that I would use concentric circles to make the cup, so after making the initial circles with the CD, I would find a cup with a little bit smaller circle to make the inner circle. Then I would find a larger cup to make the outside circle of the next circle in the sequence....yadda yadda, I think you get the idea.
To make the circles, I simply cut out a square with a saw, then cut the square into a octagon, then used a bench grinder to file the octagon into a circle.
After you hot glue all the circles together, you get something that sort of looks like a round myan pyramid.
From there, you take a dremel tool and just work out the edges until it becomes a dome shape.
The baffles were easy. Just take two CDs. Put a bunch of hot glue in between. Level it all out. Stick the other cd on and viola, you have a baffle. From there take a dremel tool or a door handle cutting drill bit and drill out a hole in the center for your driver. You also might have to cut into the baffle a little to accommodate your headphone wire. From there I also put a little circle of hot glue on the parts where the plastic of the driver meets the CD to secure it.
Once I did these steps for both right and left channels, I went to radio shack and picked me up a 6.3mm audio plug for like 4 bucks. I don't have pictures of me attaching this to the headphones because my soldering here SUCKED. Simply google how to attach a audio plug to your headphone cable and you will get the idea pretty quickly.
I also made a frame out of a coat hanger. I am not done with the headband, but I am trying to draw inspiration from stax. Give me a couple of days on that.
I also put cork on both sides of the baffle. This prevents back wave resonance among other things.
The big issue I am contending with right now is still back wave resonance. I have some dampening material I am play around with, but no luck so far.