8 replies to this topic

#1 Cespenar

Cespenar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

This seems an appropriate place to ask:

My 13 year old grandson keeps playing Skyrim when we have to lookafter him. He's not allowed, but he saves and then I have to delete what he saves, hoping I don't stuff up my own saves.

I dont want to stop him from playing games in total, just my Steam titles.

Do any of you know how to make Steam and it's associated games encrypted, or something like that to stop him?

AMD Phenom2 x4 965 @ 3.877GHz / MoBo Asus M5A99FX Pro 2. / 4 x 2Gig Corsair DDR3 @ 1599. / Evga GTX670 FTW.@(dynamic)./
500g Seagate SATA + WD320Gig SATA. / DVD Burner. / onbd sound. / Corsair 850w PSU. / Win7 Pro 64bit. At least 7 different brands to make up my water cooling loop. Monitor LG2442PA.

#2 Stonerboy779

Stonerboy779

Puts on Q701s d-_-b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5269 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:04 AM

Just create a guest PC account and don't let him use your account. That way you can limit all programs and files he can and can't access.

med_gallery_78215_532_67141.png

Man these spammers are geniuses...put (NO SPAM) in the thread title to hide the spam.  It's brilliant.  Hopefully this doesn't catch on...what if rapists wear signs that say (NOT A RAPIST)?  They will be raping everybody! D:

Donate to OCC - You could have won an SSD or GPU

#3 Deathmineral

Deathmineral

No soup for you!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3811 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:16 AM

Can't you just log out of your steam account when he's there? I'm assuming, from what you said, that the games you allow him to play aren't on your Steam account?

Another suggestion, in case you can't find what you're looking for, you can try backing up your saves before he arrives, it's kind of tedious I know but it's what I have to do for Minecraft when my nephew visits.

Posted Image

#4 EuroFight

EuroFight

I'm not lazy, I'm just energy efficient.

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1609 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:40 AM

Just create a guest PC account and don't let him use your account. That way you can limit all programs and files he can and can't access.

This could work well, you could just password your account and he couldn't access it, then you're free of worry

Can't you just log out of your steam account when he's there? I'm assuming, from what you said, that the games you allow him to play aren't on your Steam account?

Another suggestion, in case you can't find what you're looking for, you can try backing up your saves before he arrives, it's kind of tedious I know but it's what I have to do for Minecraft when my nephew visits.

Logging out of Steam could also work, but you would need to make sure you logged out every time he uses the computer, so I would stick with the first solution myself, but it's up to you and it does depend on the circumstances

Processor AMD FX-6100 Hex-core, 3.3GHz > Intel Core 2 Duo, Dual-core, 1.6GHz

Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz >  Crucial 3GB DDR3 1066MHz

Graphics Radeon HD7770 + Radeon HD5570 > Intel 3000 Integrated Graphics

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 Socket AM3+ > OEM Latitude XT2 Motherboard Socket P

Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA 7200.14 > Samsung 64GB SSD SATA 3Gbps

Power Supply Cooler Master Elite ATX 500W > OEM Dell Power Supply 90W

Case Zalman Z11 Plus 4x 120mm fans, 3x 80mm > OEM Dell Latitude XT Case

"Sudo make me a sandwich" - BluePanda

#5 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15399 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

Either log out or just play grandpa and spoil him in secrecy. :lol:

sig.png

GTX 770 replaced with watercooled GTX780...but too lazy to change the sig.

#6 Cespenar

Cespenar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

Stoner, I created a guest account, and it seems to be on the right track. Steam stuff doesn't show up on the desktop but Origin does. (Meaning Battlefield 3)

Is there a way to make a list of programs the guest user can access and lock out all the others?

By the way, thanks for the replies. I did ask the Steam forums but no replies yet.

AMD Phenom2 x4 965 @ 3.877GHz / MoBo Asus M5A99FX Pro 2. / 4 x 2Gig Corsair DDR3 @ 1599. / Evga GTX670 FTW.@(dynamic)./
500g Seagate SATA + WD320Gig SATA. / DVD Burner. / onbd sound. / Corsair 850w PSU. / Win7 Pro 64bit. At least 7 different brands to make up my water cooling loop. Monitor LG2442PA.

#7 Stonerboy779

Stonerboy779

Puts on Q701s d-_-b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5269 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

Yea there is away probably accessible through right click and properties but personally I haven't had to bother with any of this. A bit of Google searching and just general mucking about should help you work it out.

med_gallery_78215_532_67141.png

Man these spammers are geniuses...put (NO SPAM) in the thread title to hide the spam.  It's brilliant.  Hopefully this doesn't catch on...what if rapists wear signs that say (NOT A RAPIST)?  They will be raping everybody! D:

Donate to OCC - You could have won an SSD or GPU

#8 AZNguyen

AZNguyen

Melting pot of friendship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7939 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:37 AM

Setting up permissions Origin should help with that. Here's a link on how to do that. Just click on his username and deny him all read/write access to Origin and any things that got through. Also make sure his account doesn't have administrator rights and that you have a password on yours. Otherwise he just have to click on "Continue" on the pop-up prompt to bypass this method.

For future use:

I believe when you install programs, the installer will ask you if you want to install this program "Just for you" or "Everyone." Everyone would install it for every user account created on the computer.

Edited by AZNguyen, 06 January 2013 - 04:40 AM.

Gaming || Intel i7 3770K || Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 || G.Skill 2x 4GB || EVGA GTX 680 2 GB || Corsair TX750 V2 ||

|| 3x Dell UltraSharp U2312HM || Corsair Vengeance K90 || Logitech G700s || Audio-gd NFB 15.32 || Hifiman HE400 ||

HTPC || Intel Celeron G530 || Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 || G.Skill 4GB || CM Elite 460W ||

NAS || Intel Pentium G630 || Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 || G.Skill 16GB || Corsair CX430 || IBM M1015 || 21 TB Storage ||

#9 Cespenar

Cespenar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

Setting up permissions Origin should help with that. Here's a link on how to do that. Just click on his username and deny him all read/write access to Origin and any things that got through. Also make sure his account doesn't have administrator rights and that you have a password on yours. Otherwise he just have to click on "Continue" on the pop-up prompt to bypass this method.

For future use:

I believe when you install programs, the installer will ask you if you want to install this program "Just for you" or "Everyone." Everyone would install it for every user account created on the computer.

I started my PC this evening and had a series of problems. Comp not shut down properly, BSODX2, Windows repair. So, guessing that the little t**d tried to gate crash my account, I am banning him from my comp altogether. I have been to soft, and he wont do as told, so he has done his dash. Thanks for the help and tips people.

Regards and wishes from Cespenar.