my first amd.

policedogtraine

I'm certain Cyberburnout meant "pushing it close".  In context, policedogtraine mentioned that the FX-8320 is reaching 57 degrees Celsius.  Bulldozer processors are known to show some instability above 55C, though almost guaranteed instability when the core temperatures go above 60C.  Hence, there is not much headroom for a stable system, particularly if policedogtraine tried overclocking the FX-8320 and/or running Prime95 with warmer ambient temperatures.

This leads me to believe that either the cooler is inefficient for its size, there is something wrong with either the cooler or the processor that causes the FX-8320 to reach abnormally high temperatures (don't have a reference for stock temperatures with the stock cooler under the same conditions for comparison so this is just an opinion), or the temperature readings are either not of the core temps or not in degrees Celsius.

Edit: Misunderstanding on my part. Please ignore this post.

Edited by Kiro
  • Like 1

I'm certain Cyberburnout meant "pushing it close".  In context, policedogtraine mentioned that the FX-8320 is reaching 57 degrees Celsius.  Bulldozer processors are known to show some instability above 55C, though almost guaranteed instability when the core temperatures go above 60C.  Hence, there is not much headroom for a stable system, particularly if policedogtraine tried overclocking the FX-8320 and/or running Prime95 with warmer ambient temperatures.

This leads me to believe that either the cooler is inefficient for its size, there is something wrong with either the cooler or the processor that causes the FX-8320 to reach abnormally high temperatures (don't have a reference for stock temperatures with the stock cooler under the same conditions for comparison so this is just an opinion), or the temperature readings are either not of the core temps or not in degrees Celsius.

Correct, I meant close. My "C" button is acting up and I didnt catch the typo before posting.

The explaination is exactly what I meant. 57c is too high to not be OC or any voltage adjustments. A freind just got his 8350 using a TT Frio. His idle temps are in the mid 20s and max temp was in the high 30s at stock speeds. So for a cooler that large I would expect lower idle/max temps. What Thermal paste are you using? Is the cooler mounted correctly? I would also suggest adding another fan for Push/Pull to help lower your temps. I have seen some idle temps for the 8350 is the high teens using AIO solutions, Phanteks Coolers or the huge Noctuas. I know what you are using isnt the same as these but the difference in temps shouldnt be that far apart. 

Please dont take this as a criticism on your build. Just offering info to extend the life of your cpu and increase possible thermal overhead for overclocking.

Correct, I meant close. My "C" button is acting up and I didnt catch the typo before posting.

The explaination is exactly what I meant. 57c is too high to not be OC or any voltage adjustments. A freind just got his 8350 using a TT Frio. His idle temps are in the mid 20s and max temp was in the high 30s at stock speeds. So for a cooler that large I would expect lower idle/max temps. What Thermal paste are you using? Is the cooler mounted correctly? I would also suggest adding another fan for Push/Pull to help lower your temps. I have seen some idle temps for the 8350 is the high teens using AIO solutions, Phanteks Coolers or the huge Noctuas. I know what you are using isnt the same as these but the difference in temps shouldnt be that far apart. 

Please dont take this as a criticism on your build. Just offering info to extend the life of your cpu and increase possible thermal overhead for overclocking.

Oh ok I get it.

I have been exposed to many FX-83xx owners as well as owning a heavily clocked one myself and am unaware of a problem with instability due to heat at or under 55c. In fact the upper thermal limit (operating) is 62c and high level AMD officials have said that the 62c has a lot of buffer built into it. A lot of people are running theirs at 70-75c. Just a piece of anecdotal evidence, but I had mine many times under stress conditions north of 70c with no stability issues before putting under water. Then again you can't be sure if the other guy has his OC'd properly and other components oc'd and volted correctly. I am going to keep my eyes peeled for people having problems at 55c or less.

However the 57c your hitting with that cooler does seem awfully high @ 4.1 and stock volts