System Randomly Freezes

DnaAngel

Im not sure this thread is in the right place, so please redirect me if its not.

I have a older custom built system that seems to like to randomly freeze at times and I cannot figure this out.

Ive tried everything I know how. All drivers are updated, Ive re installed Chipset drivers, Video drivers ect. Virus scanned with several programs, took off the OC on all hardware ect ect. Yet the system randomly freezes 2-4 times a day no matter what I am doing.

It does it the most if I go from idle or low threaded apps to loading a progam, or plugging in something on USB port. Its even done it a few times now on boot up when it gets to desktop.

Ive ran MemTest as well as Prime95, all tests pass..

I dont know if this will help but here is the specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Biostar G41D3C MOBO

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

2x2Gb Patriot 1333mhz DDR3 Ram

PNY Geforce GT 430

250gb Barracuda 7200RPM SATA 3 HDD

it seems like it all started when I swapped the core 2 duo from a Pentium Dual Core E2200 and then put a 3.2ghz OC on the core 2 duo. Its almost like the mobo is having issues with it? but it runs great 99% of the time and all tests pass with core 2 duo installed.

Both Intel Chipset and the mobo itself support the E8400 and when I popped in CPU system booted right up with no glitches. Ive recently did a fresh install of Win 7 and its only seemed to of gotten worse since, but it was freezing before I re-installed Win 7.

Its not a big problem but it always seems to want to freeze when I am doing something important. It has YET to freeze in a high threaded app or Game ect. Its only freeze 2-4 times a day in a 16 hour window of use.

Any one have any ideas?

Im not getting any blue screens or errors, just a random freeze when going from idle/low threaded applications to loading programs or just idling in general and never during heavy use like games ect.

Edited by DnaAngel

I have a older custom built system that seems to like to randomly freeze at times and I cannot figure this out.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Biostar G41D3C MOBO

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

2x2Gb Patriot 1333mhz DDR3 Ram

PNY Geforce GT 430

250gb Barracuda 7200RPM SATA 3 HDD

Any one have any ideas?

Try flashing the BIOS. I was getting random freezes too, and I flashed my PC to the SAME EXACT BIOS, and it worked. Maybe there is just some type of freak setting in your BIOS that is overvolting different components.

+1 ...flashing is good :cool2:

of course i'm no expert, but i'm hearing a vcore voltage issue, and possibly northbridge and vram issues as well...have you checkd to insure you have set proper power for the new cpu in the bios,...and just for fun make certain your mobo is powering the ram and nb correctly,...it sounds to me like you know your way around a puter and bios so if you get rid of any "auto" settings and manually control voltages then you will at least eliminate that problem,....if you still have freezes then it's something other than power settings...another idea is to disable the cpu features in bios such as C1E support and Vanderpool technology, since these tend to detune the cpu for power savings...ok well, some ideas for ya to try out...good luck with that and let us know how it goes..

kwik edit: i don't see the patriot ram listed by the manufacturer as approved/supported,...something else to look into...

Biostar

of course i'm no expert, but i'm hearing a vcore voltage issue, and possibly northbridge and vram issues as well...have you checkd to insure you have set proper power for the new cpu in the bios,...and just for fun make certain your mobo is powering the ram and nb correctly,...it sounds to me like you know your way around a puter and bios so if you get rid of any "auto" settings and manually control voltages then you will at least eliminate that problem,....if you still have freezes then it's something other than power settings...another idea is to disable the cpu features in bios such as C1E support and Vanderpool technology, since these tend to detune the cpu for power savings...ok well, some ideas for ya to try out...good luck with that and let us know how it goes..

kwik edit: i don't see the patriot ram listed by the manufacturer as approved/supported,...something else to look into...

Biostar

The RAM works fine, has been for 1 year in system. At the top of that RAM list it says "this is not a full listing, just a guide"

Good observation though.

Try flashing the BIOS. I was getting random freezes too, and I flashed my PC to the SAME EXACT BIOS, and it worked. Maybe there is just some type of freak setting in your BIOS that is overvolting different components.

I will give this a go.

Ill keep you all posted. Thanks in Advance

Edited by DnaAngel

• 2 weeks later...

Reflashed BIOS to 2 diffrent versions. Hasnt helped it at all. Ive even under clocked the CPU and lowered memory frequency, all to no avail.

Ive reinstalled Video, Chipset and Audio drivers again all to no avail.

Never had a problem before with older CPU. MB and Chipset both support C2D E8400. What gets me it dosent freeze when my Roomate plays games, only when surfing the web or loading programs.

Biostar

Ive disabled stepping if thats what your referrign to, it didnt help.

Also this Mobo (30$) only has the ability to change FSB/Ram frequency's. It dosent allow for voltages or multiplier manipulation.

DNA - grab you a copy of Seagate's "SeaTools". Probably best to grab the DOS version so you can run it in a pre-windows boot environment. Run the various disk health checks and see if everything comes back OK. Other things I've seen cause similar problems;

1. A faulty USB device (keyboard, mouse and even a connected printer powered on)

2. A Sata cable going bad - but not completely bad yet

DNA - grab you a copy of Seagate's "SeaTools". Probably best to grab the DOS version so you can run it in a pre-windows boot environment. Run the various disk health checks and see if everything comes back OK. Other things I've seen cause similar problems;

1. A faulty USB device (keyboard, mouse and even a connected printer powered on)

2. A Sata cable going bad - but not completely bad yet

Ah whats up wev, long time no see.

Funny you state that, I have a copy of it right here> I used it to zero out HDD when i reinstalled Win 7 after CPU change. Im pretty sure the HDD is still good as it is only 7 months old same as cable, but still good to check.

wireless USB adapter is 7 years old now. Havent had an ounce of problems with it untill recently. It has been dropping connection at random, leaving me no choice but to reboot. It happens in games as well. You may be on to something there.

Seeing as you are having known issue with the USB wireless adapter, and freezing most often occurs when web browsing or accessing programs (some of which may be sniffing the internet for updates, help files etc.) that could be your problem. If disk health checks OK I'd suspect the USB wireless adapter. Uninstall the device and run the PC for a while and see if problems persist (make sure that you uninstall the drivers too). If everything starts behaving correctly you may have found your culprit. Good luck.

Ive disabled stepping if thats what your referrign to, it didnt help.

Also this Mobo (30$) only has the ability to change FSB/Ram frequency's. It dosent allow for voltages or multiplier manipulation.

...yes that, but mainly i was referring to raising the vcore some for the new cpu... but if the bios won't go there then that's about it, you've covered all the other bases...out of curiosity, did the other cpu e2200 freeze up too ? , i mean before you changed them out ?

check out the voltage used in this review: ccokeman review