Photo
- - - - -

Finlux TVs

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 EuroFight

EuroFight

I'm not lazy, I'm just energy efficient.

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1561 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

Hi everyone :)

I was looking around at TV's the other day (I currently have an old Samsung CRT), and saw a deal for a 42" 1080p 3D TV for £299 (~$475) that would also double up as a monitor. I didn't recognize the manufacturer, Finlux, although I realize that an equivalent TV from other well known manufacturers such as Samsung would be much, much more expensive.

I currently have:
  • FreeView receiver (SCART)
  • Xbox 360 (Composite, will get HDMI)
  • DVD Player (SCART, will get HDMI)
  • Computer (HDMI)
Does anybody have any experience with any Finlux TV's, either good or bad?

Cheers,

Euro Posted Image

Edited by EuroFight, 19 November 2012 - 11:45 AM.

Processor AMD FX-6100 Hex-core, 3.3GHz > Intel Core 2 Duo, Dual-core, 1.6GHz

Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz >  Crucial 3GB DDR3 1066MHz

Graphics Radeon HD7770 + Radeon HD5570 > Intel 3000 Integrated Graphics

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 Socket AM3+ > OEM Latitude XT2 Motherboard Socket P

Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA 7200.14 > Dell 64GB SSD SATA 3Gbps

Power Supply Cooler Master Elite ATX 500W > OEM Dell Power Supply 90W

Case Zalman Z11 Plus 4x 120mm fans, 3x 80mm > OEM Dell Latitude XT Case

"Sudo make me a sandwich" - BluePanda

#2 wevsspot

wevsspot

The Pain of Being a Razorback Fan.....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15762 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

Hey EF. I don't have any personal experience with them, but in my business we keep up with things going on in the TV world so I do have some incidental background info on them. Even though most folks in NA have never heard of Finlux, they have actually been around a long time in one form or another. The brand has gone through multiple owners as a result of bad timing and bad management, but none of that was related to the reliability, quality or performance of their electronics products. Probably the hardest hit they took was during the transition from CRT to LCD technology (the same mistake our company made) in not recognizing the paradigm shift that was occurring right in front of us.

At any rate, most feedback I've heard and read on the company indicates they are making decent > good TVs for their target market and price point. I personally wouldn't be afraid to give them a shot at that price point.
10804750996_f1dd23d20e_o.jpg

#3 EuroFight

EuroFight

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1561 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

That sounds like a pretty good write up then...good for a company it would seem very few have ever heard of before, I might give this one a shot actually. I'll probably ask if I can post a review of it on the site anyhow to help other people out. If it's as good as it sounds I'll be surprised though.

Cheers for the info wevsspot :cheers:

Edit: Post showed HTML for some reason

Edited by EuroFight, 19 November 2012 - 12:10 PM.

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 Socket AM3+ > OEM Latitude XT2 Motherboard Socket P

#4 wevsspot

wevsspot

• 15762 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

I'd put them in the category of Vizio, Hisense, Coby, Sanyo and maybe even Phililps/Magnavox here lately. I think for the price it's definitely worth a shot. I"ll love to hear what you think about the TV after you get it.

#5 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

They call me... General Help.

• Members
  • 20078 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

I'm eager to see how it turns out, I love prize budget TV brands everyone fears but give you a great experience at a much lower price point. My g/f's Coby LED LCD 32" TV is pretty nice, the sound could be better but that's the case with most flat screen TVs (maybe a sound bar for christmas from me ;) )

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP
Mobo: Asus P6TD Deluxe | Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz | CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAXR | Videocard: MSI Twin Frozr HD7970
Memory: Patriot 12GB 1600mhz | OS SSD: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SATA | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
Monitor: *Debranded* HP 24" 2408H | CD/DVD: Samsung SH-S223F | Keyboard: Razer Tarantula | Mouse: Razer Lachesis

OCC Cool Club Member

GPU Comparison tool on AnAndTech

#6 wevsspot

wevsspot

• 15762 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

IVI - We are Coby's only factory reconditioning company in North America :)
For now any way. They have been a customer for three years, but they have chosen a different business model for their consumer returns beginning in 2013 :(

And yes, they make a fine TV for the price & features. Helps that they own their own mfg. facilities in China and don't have to subcontract out that work to anyone.

#7 EuroFight

EuroFight

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1561 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

TV has been ordered and is on it's way, hoping it's good, I might do a quick writeup about it for anyone interested :thumbsup:

#8 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

• Members
  • 20078 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

IVI - We are Coby's only factory reconditioning company in North America :)
For now any way. They have been a customer for three years, but they have chosen a different business model for their consumer returns beginning in 2013 :(

And yes, they make a fine TV for the price & features. Helps that they own their own mfg. facilities in China and don't have to subcontract out that work to anyone.

I'm guessing you can't elaborate on the *implied* downgrade of customer service they're planning on offering next year?? (I'm going to guess outsourcing??)

Yeah I like my girlfriend's TV, it was still almost $100 cheaper than the next TV up which was a CCFL lit Samsung that the sales rep said had much better sound. I'd rather have an LED with better picture than sound, since there's always a solution to sound. But you can't really change the panel lol

TV has been ordered and is on it's way, hoping it's good, I might do a quick writeup about it for anyone interested :thumbsup:

No, must be painstakingly long write up or don't bother :P

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP
Mobo: Asus P6TD Deluxe | Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz | CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAXR | Videocard: MSI Twin Frozr HD7970
Memory: Patriot 12GB 1600mhz | OS SSD: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SATA | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
Monitor: *Debranded* HP 24" 2408H | CD/DVD: Samsung SH-S223F | Keyboard: Razer Tarantula | Mouse: Razer Lachesis

OCC Cool Club Member

#9 wevsspot

wevsspot

• 15762 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

I can elaborate to a point. Right now Coby pays us on a per unit basis to repair, recondition or scrap the consumer returns. Coby still technically owns the units at all points in the process. Next year they will wholesale out the returns to a company that buys the returns - site unseen, and then liquidates them as they see fit. You'll likely lose the factory warranty (on refurbished products) and the new company will be pressed to turn a profit - meaning that shortcuts will be taken in both the replacement parts used, as well as the repair process in general.

#10 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

• Members
  • 20078 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

I can elaborate to a point. Right now Coby pays us on a per unit basis to repair, recondition or scrap the consumer returns. Coby still technically owns the units at all points in the process. Next year they will wholesale out the returns to a company that buys the returns - site unseen, and then liquidates them as they see fit. You'll likely lose the factory warranty (on refurbished products) and the new company will be pressed to turn a profit - meaning that shortcuts will be taken in both the replacement parts used, as well as the repair process in general.

Oh, that doesn't sound good indeed :-/

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP

OCC Cool Club Member

#11 EuroFight

EuroFight

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1561 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:52 AM

A couple of months later and I can give you a more comprehensive review of the TV:

The Finlux 42F7020-D is a full HD 3DTV currently available in the UK for £349.99, although you may see it on offer for as little as £299.99. Although you may have never heard of the manufacturer, don’t let that put you off, the set offers a diverse range of features for the price. The 42-inch TV also boasts a built-in Freeview receiver and PVR, although the hard-disk is not included.

The box for the TV is fairly standard, with the manufacturer name on the front, as well as a couple of details from the devices specification. The contents of the box are somewhat unremarkable, containing the manual, controller, two boxes of 4 3D glasses and the TV itself, as well as a number of polystyrene wedges for keeping the device safe in transit.

Once the device is moved from the box, you begin to realise what a beast this TV is. Admittedly, it is not the thinnest TV by any means, being just under 10cm wide, however the build quality feels good, and the gloss finish in the front seems to blend in to most environments fairly well. When plugged in, the power light isn’t particularly invasive, which I feel is a common problem with many modern TV sets.

The device also boasts a YPbPr input and 2 SCART ports for legacy support, particularly useful for those not quite ready to give up their old tech. There is also a VGA input for connecting a computer or HTPC and 3 HDMI ports for connecting a computer or any other digital input such as HD DVD players. Further round the back of the device, there is a further HDMI port, as well as 3 USB ports for removable storage, and a slot for a 2.5” HDD for the built in PVR. This combination of ports is particularly comprehensive for a set of this nature.

The standard controller looks nice, with a gloss finish on the surface, although this is likely to get dirty over time with fingerprints. The controller is fairly long, so you cannot always reach its comprehensive collection of buttons; particularly the numerical keypad is closer to the top of the controller which can be annoying at times. The controller also feels fairly light, and does not feel reassuring to hold, but this is often down to personal preference.

When the TV is started up, a language selection page comes up, revealing the large collection of languages and locales available for the device. Once this screen is complete, you must input some of your location details to allow the receiver to scan for channels. The tuner then allows you to disable or uninstall any unwanted channels, once you have done this the device is completely set up.

My main dislike about this set comes with the fact the built in Freeview receiver cannot receive HD or 3D transmissions although with the cost of the TV itself, this is somewhat unsurprising but it is worth purchasing a HD receiver from a site like Amazon. The built-in tuner is also somewhat sluggish and takes a while to load channel details and other information. Also be aware the TV does not come with any additional cables, so you will need to purchase any HDMI cables you require separately.

The picture quality on the TV is decent, and any discrepancies are not visible from the viewing distance, although when standing closer to the screen, these discrepancies become visible. The lack of a HD tuner adds to this. Sound quality is reasonable from the TV itself; however the set can be hooked up to an external sound system if required.

The 3DTV employs passive 3D, which means you must wear glasses. The glasses are very expensive to replace, but the set comes bundled with 8 pairs, so you shouldn’t need to purchase any replacements for a while. Also be aware that any device you wish to watch 3D on must be correctly configured properly to work with the set. I found some settings required a reasonable amount of settings being tweaked before they worked correctly.

Overall, the Finlux 42F7020-D is an excellent choice for those on a budget, although you are likely to have to invest in other components to receive the full 3D or indeed HD experience. It also comes bundled with a 12 month warranty, so if the TV fails due to a faulty component, the TV will be replaced. Despite the minor issues and cost cutting measures employed with some of the components, the 42F7020-D feels solid and appears to be good quality, and I personally would have no problems recommending this TV to anyone.

#12 clownshoes

clownshoes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:41 AM

Many years ago I worked as a design tech in Panasonic, we had a store of other manufacturers TV's and my old boss told me that the Finlux was one of the best makes in the world, a bit expensive but good.

When Microsoft release a product that doesn't suck, it will be a vacuum cleaner.

2770372.png

AMD FX 8350
ASUS Crosshair V
16GB corsair Vengence

2 X Palit GTX570 Sli
Primary HD OCZ 240GB Agility 3
Logitech G510 gaming Keyboard
Roccat Kone [+] mouse
Creative Fatal1ty Headset