24 replies to this topic

#1 Bosco

Bosco

OCC Boss

• Senior Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32348 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

Jim takes a look at Borderlands 2 with no sleep.

Read his thoughts on how he liked the game:

http://www.overclock...rlands2_review/

Main Gaming Rig
Intel 3960X
MSI X79A-GD65 8D
16GB of Corsair Vengeance
NVIDIA 780TI's in SLI
Corsair Force 3 GT 240GB SSD
Coolermaster 932 Case
Noctua D14 CPU Cooler
Thermaltake Toughpower XT Platinum 1275 Watts
3 X 24" LCD's
Donating to OCC :::: OCC Site Rules :::: OCC Reviews
RIP Verran and Nemo gone but never will be forgotten.

#2 Stonerboy779

Stonerboy779

Puts on Q701s d-_-b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5264 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

Game reviews now? Sweet

med_gallery_78215_532_67141.png

Man these spammers are geniuses...put (NO SPAM) in the thread title to hide the spam.  It's brilliant.  Hopefully this doesn't catch on...what if rapists wear signs that say (NOT A RAPIST)?  They will be raping everybody! D:

Donate to OCC - You could have won an SSD or GPU

#3 Bosco

Bosco

OCC Boss

• Senior Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32348 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

Game reviews now? Sweet

We have done them before just not very often. Neoseeker does so many that we never need too, however I am leaning towards doing it for certain titles that come out on OCC. :)

Main Gaming Rig
Intel 3960X
MSI X79A-GD65 8D
16GB of Corsair Vengeance
NVIDIA 780TI's in SLI
Corsair Force 3 GT 240GB SSD
Coolermaster 932 Case
Noctua D14 CPU Cooler
Thermaltake Toughpower XT Platinum 1275 Watts
3 X 24" LCD's
Donating to OCC :::: OCC Site Rules :::: OCC Reviews
RIP Verran and Nemo gone but never will be forgotten.

#4 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15303 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

Borderlands 2 deserves it if anything does! :lol:

Posted Image

Booyah.

#5 Stonerboy779

Stonerboy779

Puts on Q701s d-_-b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5264 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

We have done them before just not very often. Neoseeker does so many that we never need too, however I am leaning towards doing it for certain titles that come out on OCC. :)

Fair enough, not sure that the right sort of layout was nailed though. The review doesn't seem anywhere near as polished or nice as others are. Also a larger size of embedded screenshots would be good (not an issue with the pic zoom extension I have in chrome but for others they are) When its something like a game which is very graphically orientated, it is good to show off the graphics. After all there are no graphs now and I feel there place should be filled with screenshots.

Man these spammers are geniuses...put (NO SPAM) in the thread title to hide the spam.  It's brilliant.  Hopefully this doesn't catch on...what if rapists wear signs that say (NOT A RAPIST)?  They will be raping everybody! D:

#6 ClayMeow

ClayMeow

Member Title Exceeds Member Title Character Limit

• Review Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19352 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

Fair enough, not sure that the right sort of layout was nailed though. The review doesn't seem anywhere near as polished or nice as others are. Also a larger size of embedded screenshots would be good (not an issue with the pic zoom extension I have in chrome but for others they are) When its something like a game which is very graphically orientated, it is good to show off the graphics. After all there are no graphs now and I feel there place should be filled with screenshots.

I agree with Stoner...I think it's cool to have game reviews on OCC, but this review seems quite amateurish compared to other game reviews on other sites, as well as compared to our hardware reviews. And yes, this definitely needed higher-res photos.

I definitely don't like the "before sleep" and "after sleep" notations, and there just doesn't seem to be much flow to the article. The conclusion also seems to be a bit bland. I'm fine with there being no score, but there should at least be a pros and cons list like we have in our hardware reviews.

PS. I also think he doesn't fully grasp the severity of the "badass rank reset bug". Yes it's rare, but you don't simply lose your stat bonuses, you also lose any skins/heads you unlocked and the challenges remain labeled as completed for that character, so you'd have to create a new character to earn them again. Furthermore, while it may seem like those bonuses are negligible, it's important to keep in mind that they're essentially a substitute for the "weapon proficiencies" found in BL1. With no weapon proficiencies in BL2, badass tokens are the only way to boost your attributes outside of equipment.

PPS. Would have been nice to have a little gameplay video included too to show off the graphics, animations, and PhysX in motion.

CMt.png
- Steam - Raptr - Xfire - GameSpot - Kongregate - IGN Blog -
- ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe - i7 3770k - NVIDIA GTX 770 - 2x8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1866MHz -
::: Follow OCC on facebook.png ::: OCC Xfire Clan ::: OCC Steam Community Group ::: OCC Rules :::

::: OCC E3 2013 Awards ::: CES 2013 ::: COMPUTEX 2010 :::

::: Razer Sabertooth Review ::: Watch Dogs Review :::

#7 Stonerboy779

Stonerboy779

Puts on Q701s d-_-b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5264 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:52 PM

SNIP

Agree with everything Clay said.

In following with the basic style of Hardware reviews I myself would like to see the first page as an introduction and brief description of the game. Much like is done with hardware reviews.

Have you introduction title and the description about the game, the company etc and then use a nice decent sized 1024p or so banner or screen or whatever of the game. One of the official pics, probably best to use the box art imho. So have something like this for borderlands 2 - http://www.google.co...29,r:0,s:0,i:75

Next in a hardware review you always have a spec and features page I think game reviews need this too. Just a simple page where you include the manufacture min and recomended specs. As well as any features the game may have like - PhysX, multiplayer, online/LAN play, etc.

After that in hardware review you go onto the testing. At this point in a game review I think it is time to break it down into three main sections (pages) Graphics and Sound - with info about art style, game engine, music and sounds etc. Next you'll have gameplay - where you can talk about the style of the game FPS, RPG, platformer and so on, talk about the mechanics of the game to explaining pros and cons of say a combat mechanic or talk about the ui especially if it is a console ported one. Talk at this point maybe also about the use of a gamepad. Third section talk about the Story put a spoilers tag around sensitive stuff but do have maybe one to two paragraphs about the setting of the game and where you start off, what you char is and where you are going, nothing that isn't alread available in trailers or in the first intro video.

Then as in hardware reviews as should be in game reviews imo, the Conclusion. Do as normal write what you throught and add a list of pros and cons as you saw them and give it the OCC gold, silver, bronze or maybe next time.

Just my two cents

Stoner

Edit: Oh and Jim this isn't to put down your sleep deprived review or anything :lol:

#8 Bubbaxm2

Bubbaxm2

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

Good job Jim! I actually enjoyed reading your review simply because it is not written in the normal stiff dick format that others seem to be. But then again I do not come to OCC for game reviews. :)
ASUS P6X58D-E, Intel Core i7-920, EVGA GTX480, OCZ 850 PSU, 6GB Corsair Dominator, Kingston 128GB SSD, H2O, Razer Mamba
DFI Lp LT X-48, Q6600 GO, 2x ATI 4890's, Corsair 750TX PSU, OCZ 9200 Flex2, SB X-Fi Extreme Audio, 2x 7200.10 250gb, Corsair H50, Razer Mamba
EVGA E758-TR, Intel Core i7-920, MSI GTX 580, 12GB G-Skill Sniper (PC3 12800), PCP&C 950 PSU, SB X-Fi Extreme Audio, ST3640323AS 640GB, H2O, Logitech G9X

#9 freddie

freddie

Up the Arsenal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:39 AM

im with bubba.

was a good read. good job Jim :thumbsup:

#10 VaporX

VaporX

Sapphire Gaming Evangelist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:55 AM

Jim I thought it was well done, let the naysayers go away :cheers:

Edward "Vapor-X" Crisler

Sapphire North America PR Represenative

"I don't play when it comes to gaming"

#11 DanTheGamer11

DanTheGamer11

When life gives you lemons, eat them.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3963 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:46 AM

That's cool, I like short and sweet reviews :)

Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @3.2Ghz
Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 8GB 1.48V 1600Mhz DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Tactical
Motherboard Asrock N68C-GS FX
Graphics XFX HD 7950
Storage 1TB WD Caviar Blue HDD, 240GB Kingston Hyper X SSD, Thanks OCC & Kingston, makes a big difference  :)
Optical Disk Drive Sony Optiarc DVD/CD ReWriter
Power Supply Cooler Master GX 650W Bronze
Case Cooler Master CM690

#12 freddie

freddie

Up the Arsenal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

yep, 'twas refreshingly different.