Headset Suggestion?

Fragsman

Hello.

I always wanted to have a pretty good Headphones. Currently I'm using 2.1 Edifier Speakers, they are not bad but I can up volume like crazy since I don't live alone you know... I don't like to bother people and I don't like to neighbors hear what I'm playing.

Since i'm pretty sure i'm having a work trip to Las Vegas in October I might take the chance and buy one (price here would be 2x for sure).

Price: $100 or less (I would pay $150 if surround and you REALLY recommend it)

Wired / Wireless: Wired as long as the cable is 1.5m or more.

Audio: Surround or Not (because I've heard the difference is not much noticieable)

Microphone: I don't care at all. (That might be the difference with headphones)

So far I've seen:

http://www.frys.com/product/5980064?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Thanks, :thumbsup:

Hey guys I was asked today about choosing a headset and thought I would share some info with you. I practically live in a headset between work and play time so I take buying a headset very seriously. Of late we have had a chance to review quite a few headsets and wanted to pass along my thoughts.

Steelseries Siberia v2

These are a great headset choice if comfort is your first consideration. While very light weight these are very durable and deliver good sound with a solid microphone. While not a "budget" choice, they are reasonably priced and the various color options give you choices. They are available in an analog model or USB models, both give the same sound quality. Over the last year these are the headset I have used the most. I have been able to game for as much as 6 hours at a time in these with no comfort issues.

Corsair Vengeance 1500

The Vengeance 1500 headset won the Computer Ed Radio Golden Mic Award this year for headsets. The reason is some of the best sound we have heard in a headset along with the BEST microphone I have yet used in a headset. The only downside to these is the clamp system used in the design is very tight and can make these uncomfortable during long duration use. With use they do break in some but even after extended use to break them in I found that about 3 hours was my limit before I needed a break. However for pure sound quality they are hard to beat and their 7.1 emulation is spot on.

Corsair Vengeance 2000

The Vengeance 2000 is the wireless headset that is based off the 1500 design. I was a huge skeptic of wireless sound until I heard these in action. The sound quality matches that of the 1500 meaning these sound incredible. The microphone was not quite as good as the 1500 but still a solid mic. In the area of comfort these were a huge improvement over the 1500 with the ear cups moved to the end of the arms and thus reducing the clamping effect a great deal. While not quite as comfortable as the Siberia's, these are still god for long gaming sessions. Plus, until you experience the freedom that wireless gives you in a headset you cannot really understand it. The price on these is a bit high, around $150 but they are worth it if you want the freedom of wireless.

Plantronics Gamecom 307

These are a pure budget headset, they can be found at Best Buy for around $30. However do not let the budget price lead you to think these are cheap. Plantronics does one thing, make headsets and that quality shows through. In fact until this last year Plantronics were my headset of choice. This particular model is a pure middle of the road headset with good sound, good mic and reasonable comfort. However it does all this for about half the price of most other gaming headsets of it's quality level. If the budget is tight get the Plantronics.

Now to be clear I own ALL of these headsets and use them all at least sometime during the week. My current headset of choice is the Corsair Vengeance 2000, I love the wireless feel. However I get these for free because I do show reviews on them. So if you were to ask me if I would buy them personally, I would say no. Not because they are not awesome, they are. But rather because I just do not have a personal budget that could justify this cost I would not be looking at this price point.

If I was spending the money personally I would be torn between the Siberia and the Plantronics. The Siberia is of better quality but the difference is not enough for me to justify the cost difference unless I had gotten birthday money. The Plantronics is a tremendous value that delivers a very serviceable headset for the money. If you have the money to move farther up then by all means do but if the budget is tight the Plantronics are an awesome value.

Hey guys I was asked today about choosing a headset and thought I would share some info with you. I practically live in a headset between work and play time so I take buying a headset very seriously. Of late we have had a chance to review quite a few headsets and wanted to pass along my thoughts.

Steelseries Siberia v2

These are a great headset choice if comfort is your first consideration. While very light weight these are very durable and deliver good sound with a solid microphone. While not a "budget" choice, they are reasonably priced and the various color options give you choices. They are available in an analog model or USB models, both give the same sound quality. Over the last year these are the headset I have used the most. I have been able to game for as much as 6 hours at a time in these with no comfort issues.

Corsair Vengeance 1500

The Vengeance 1500 headset won the Computer Ed Radio Golden Mic Award this year for headsets. The reason is some of the best sound we have heard in a headset along with the BEST microphone I have yet used in a headset. The only downside to these is the clamp system used in the design is very tight and can make these uncomfortable during long duration use. With use they do break in some but even after extended use to break them in I found that about 3 hours was my limit before I needed a break. However for pure sound quality they are hard to beat and their 7.1 emulation is spot on.

Corsair Vengeance 2000

The Vengeance 2000 is the wireless headset that is based off the 1500 design. I was a huge skeptic of wireless sound until I heard these in action. The sound quality matches that of the 1500 meaning these sound incredible. The microphone was not quite as good as the 1500 but still a solid mic. In the area of comfort these were a huge improvement over the 1500 with the ear cups moved to the end of the arms and thus reducing the clamping effect a great deal. While not quite as comfortable as the Siberia's, these are still god for long gaming sessions. Plus, until you experience the freedom that wireless gives you in a headset you cannot really understand it. The price on these is a bit high, around $150 but they are worth it if you want the freedom of wireless.

Plantronics Gamecom 307

These are a pure budget headset, they can be found at Best Buy for around $30. However do not let the budget price lead you to think these are cheap. Plantronics does one thing, make headsets and that quality shows through. In fact until this last year Plantronics were my headset of choice. This particular model is a pure middle of the road headset with good sound, good mic and reasonable comfort. However it does all this for about half the price of most other gaming headsets of it's quality level. If the budget is tight get the Plantronics.

Now to be clear I own ALL of these headsets and use them all at least sometime during the week. My current headset of choice is the Corsair Vengeance 2000, I love the wireless feel. However I get these for free because I do show reviews on them. So if you were to ask me if I would buy them personally, I would say no. Not because they are not awesome, they are. But rather because I just do not have a personal budget that could justify this cost I would not be looking at this price point.

If I was spending the money personally I would be torn between the Siberia and the Plantronics. The Siberia is of better quality but the difference is not enough for me to justify the cost difference unless I had gotten birthday money. The Plantronics is a tremendous value that delivers a very serviceable headset for the money. If you have the money to move farther up then by all means do but if the budget is tight the Plantronics are an awesome value.

Ed .. your review was very useful but what did you mean with they break?

"With use they do break in some but even after extended use to break them in I found that about 3 hours was my limit before I needed a break"

I don't understand the phrase. In "some" what? I'm not native English speaker. What I can understand is you feel tired in about 3hs. I know what is that when I used to play in CiberCafés. After that I never used Headset but now I'm considering get one for GOOD intense games such as Metro2033, Battlefield and those games in what inmersion to the game is very important and I can't fully get with 2.1 speakers.

I appreciate it

I've been using a set of Roccat Kave 5.1s, and so far, they're awesome. They're a bit on the heavy side, but the padding used is EXTREMELY comfortable, they're circumaural, and if you tweak with your soundcard settings, any type of media sounds great. And if you're into FPS, they have a rumble feature that activates anytime a certain threshold is hit (provided something like FlexBass is being used on your soundcard).

NOTE: You must get a dedicated soundcard for these things, or else they sound...thin. I'd recommend the Asus Xonar_DG, as it's very well made, and it's pretty easy on the wallet.

Best of luck!

^^ I also have experience with Roccat Kave 5.1 headset thanks to one of my friend who owns it. ALso had experience with CM Storm Sirus S thanks to another friend. Among those I found Kave to be better.

P.S. Both of them don't have dedicated 5.1 sound card. So I guess sound quality would be lower than what it would have been when being used with sound card.

I've been using a set of Roccat Kave 5.1s, and so far, they're awesome. They're a bit on the heavy side, but the padding used is EXTREMELY comfortable, they're circumaural, and if you tweak with your soundcard settings, any type of media sounds great. And if you're into FPS, they have a rumble feature that activates anytime a certain threshold is hit (provided something like FlexBass is being used on your soundcard).

NOTE: You must get a dedicated soundcard for these things, or else they sound...thin. I'd recommend the Asus Xonar_DG, as it's very well made, and it's pretty easy on the wallet.

Best of luck!

thanks, I have a sound blaster X-Fi XTreme Gamer.

• 3 weeks later...

I was never a fan of more then 2 channel head phones for the pc, however depending on the games you play, or if you watch movies and the kind of sound your looking for. If you are a FPS type, Call of Duty, Halo, bF, type guy and you like great sound in your movies, why not get the best? save up and buy the last pair of headphones your ever going to need and get the astro a50's. http://www.astrogaming.com/a50/a50-wireless-system I have a pair of the Turtle beach PX-5'shttp://www.turtlebeach.com/products/ps3-gaming-headsets/ear-force-px5.aspx that are really nice as well, but I don't FPS on the PC much anymore so I typically use the 2channel audio 50dollar sets of headphones on the pc and the surround ones on the consoles since hearing were your enemies are helps alot in the fps genre.

I see this is an old post, but since it's been bumped...

I've been using the Tt eSports Shock for almost two years now and love them: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826254004

Reading the reviews on newegg, I have to wonder if they know not to sit on them or something because like I said, mine's lasted almost two years now, which included me actually taking them and wearing them on the plane for two trips during that time (earbuds don't drown out the airplane engines good enough to watch movies!).

The cups are padded and very comfortable for extended use. The only problem during extended use is that my ears get a little warm, but that's what you're going to get with any over-the-ear cup, and those are the ones I prefer to block out background noise.

As for the mic, although I know you said you don't care, I've never had any complaints in any games I've played, which has included extensive use during Dota 2 matches.

Lastly, the wire length far exceeds your requirement - I actually keep the included velcro-wrap on to keep some of the wires together (mostly because I frequently watch my bro's dog and don't want wires all over the place. lol).

Oh, and something I think is absolutely necessary for any headset is the in-line volume control. This one also has a switch to mute/unmute the mic, which I guess is good if you're not using a push-to-talk system, but I never use it.