Upgrade time?

xPETEZx

So I have not done any upgrades to my system bar the SSD in over 2 years (when I added the 2nd 5850) and I have just downloaded and installed the Hitman Sniper Challenge demo, and I see frequent dips in FPS to 0 even on just "high" settings with AA turned down/off.

So I thought I would like to build a totally new system, with new everything, but it appears that still runs me about £1000. Which is really more than I can justify given how few new games I currently play.

I picked out an Ivy Bridge with a GTX570 maybe this was overkill.

I usually like to go for one off the top at the time I buy so that my system will last a bit. What would people recommend as a worth while upgrade from the following:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.4Ghz cooled by Themalright U120 Black

2x 2GB PC8500 DDR2 Corsair Dominator

2x Sapphire HD5850 1GB

Corsair HX750

OCZ Vertex 3 240GB

ASUS Xonar D2

Although the case I have is fine, I really do think its time to replace it. For the case I would love to go with a Corsair Obsidian 800D or 650D. (I know I know this siphons valuable funds away from core components!)

I generally buy my hardware from: Scan or Overclockers UK

Thanks for reading!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a more than capable system. Only thing you need to do is try and bump up your Q9550 to 3.8Ghz+, add in another 4GB's RAM, and go for either a HD7950 or GTX 670 if it's in your price range.

I used to have a 650D and it was by far the best the case I ever owned compared to other's I've watercooled with and did multiple card setup's.

BTW what's your max price ceiling?

Edited by MJCRO

I have an issue with upgrading my RAM, as my sound card currently blocks the number 1 slot. So I would need to ditch the sound card to upgrade.

I always thought my Q9550 was already limiting my HD5850's. You recon it still has some grunt in it, even if I upgrade the graphics card?

In Hitman I get dips to 0 FPS, is this indicative of GPU power limit?

EDIT: Budget is really as low as possible. Ideally no more than £400-500.

Edited by xPETEZx

I have an issue with upgrading my RAM, as my sound card currently blocks the number 1 slot. So I would need to ditch the sound card to upgrade.

I always thought my Q9550 was already limiting my HD5850's. You recon it still has some grunt in it, even if I upgrade the graphics card?

In Hitman I get dips to 0 FPS, is this indicative of GPU power limit?

EDIT: Budget is really as low as possible. Ideally no more than £400-500.

The CPU may be bottle necking the 5850's but I believe it's more of an VRAM issue. What resolution do you game at?

RAM isn't really a necessity. 4GB's is still more than enough for most titles today. I'd ditch the 5850's and upgrade to a single HD7950 and upgrade the cooler to give you better OC ability on the Q9550. I would aim for 3.8Ghz+ or so to really eliminate any possible bottleneck.

Edited by MJCRO

Thanks for the suggestions all!

Really dont want to OC this thing up to 3.8Ghz. Dont really get the time to properly test this anymore. Need a system that is 100% all the time.

If I where to go down the CPU route, what would people suggest? (This replacement would need to last 4-5 years. Nothing that barely beats what I have please :) And again, will only do minor OC's nothing extreme)

I am not sure GPU is the neck. I havent seen them both hit 100% utilisation. Most I have seen is about 50%. (or does Utilistation never hit 100% in CFX?)

Idk how it is now but I remember the C2Q selling market was very lucrative and people were willing to pay very high prices for them (motherboards not so much but DDR2 may still get you a decent coin for).

Good luck, as for the GPU power, that should be ok for now. The only thing that will hold back that CF setup would be Vram, that's what doomed my 5970 in Skyrim when i started modding the textures and what not. I'd run MSI Afterburner behind whatever game is giving you trouble and then check the graphs and see where your memory usage is at.

Not worried about re-sale. I will re purpose this CPU/Mobo/RAM either as a Media PC, or to upgrade my server's CPU.

What CPU, Motherboard and Memory combination would people recommend?

I would be looking for this to last at least 4 years.

The board needs to support Crossfire X, as I will need to stick with my current GPU's for the time being. Ideally the board will have a PCI slot so that I can keep my Xonar D2. Otherwise I will either need to downgrade back to on-board audio, or re-buy the Xonar D2x.

CPU: 3570K

and I'll cite Motherboard and Memory once i find out your e-tailer you'll be buying from.

Your current parts would be too much for a media PC....I have a "lowly" E350 running CPU and GPU for my HTPC and it's silky smooth and zippy with a 64GB SSD.

links to the retailer I normally buy from are in my first post.

Its usually scan.co.uk or over clockers.co.uk

When I say media PC, it is also used for living room gaming.

• 8 months later...

Going to grave dig this thread back out again.

STILL not done anything about my rig.

Mainly as I haven't played anything other than older games. (Which run fine)

That changed yesterday. I installed Crysis 3, and left the settings alone at what the game picked. (Medium)

In the first few indoor levels, things where fine normally hitting 60FPS. 

However once I got to the dome level with missile launcher, things got bad.

Every time a rocket blows up, the FPS drops to single figures and lags.

I have been thinking of doing a CPU / RAM / Mobo / GPU / Case upgrade, and considered the following:

CPU : AMD FX 8350 -