Wasteland 2

bp9801

Brian Fargo, developer of the Fallout series, wants help creating a sequel to his game that started it all, Wasteland. Wasteland 2 will be true to the roots of the original (an isometric RPG) and has launched a Kickstarter page to help reach the $900,000 goal. Various pledges get you rewards, with a $15 pledge giving you a DRM-free digital copy of the game.

The original Wasteland launched in 1988 as the first post-apocalyptic RPG and had you controlling a team of Desert Rangers. Different outcomes were the direct result of your actions and the storyline allowed for a ton of re-playability.

Head here to donate!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do love me a good post-apoc RPG :D

For $10K it better be one hell of a party though :P

Developers know how to trow parties, I went to a Riot party when I was in LA about a year ago and had a blast.

I am intrigued by this game, but never played the first... Will have to take a look at it.

Developers know how to trow parties, I went to a Riot party when I was in LA about a year ago and had a blast.

I am intrigued by this game, but never played the first... Will have to take a look at it.

If the game's anything like Fallout I'm sure it will be amazing. I wonder if it's gonna stay true to the top-down retro style games (Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics), or if it's gonna be a first-person like Skyrim/Fallout 3.

If the game's anything like Fallout I'm sure it will be amazing. I wonder if it's gonna stay true to the top-down retro style games (Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics), or if it's gonna be a first-person like Skyrim/Fallout 3.

Read a bit further into the articals surrounding it. They are promising to stay true to the style of the original and it will be top down only, turn based and tactical in nature. Loving the Mark Morigan is composing.

Read a bit further into the articals surrounding it. They are promising to stay true to the style of the original and it will be top down only, turn based and tactical in nature. Loving the Mark Morigan is composing.

Sweet, I used to love the old Fallout games, reading about this makes me feel nostalgic :P

Top-down definitely fits better with this type of games, it's much easier to controls a squad directly through that view, rather than looking and hitting a hotkey.

:rtfm:

Thank you for telling him to read. In fact, I even outlined what Wasteland 2 will be like in the very first post. :woot:

Wasteland was launched before Fallout. Wasteland was the catalyst for the entire Fallout series.

Here is from the Kickstarter page.

Wasteland was set in a dangerous, post-apocalyptic world in the American Southwest. Over the course of adventures rangers would receive promotions, acquire new skills and equipment, then face new challenges with outcomes that changed depending on the strategy used to defeat them. The game featured a strong storyline which required painful decisions by players; and a storyline that allowed for maximum re-playability. Wasteland 2, with your participation and insights, will recapture all that and provide more. It'll finally be the game worthy to be a Wasteland sequel, as challenging and rewarding as the original, with all added capacity and dazzle of games today.

Wasteland 2 is the direct sequel to the first ever post-apocalyptic computer RPG. The original Wasteland was the inspiration for the FALLOUT series of games, and the first RPG to allow players to split parties for tactical considerations, to face players with moral choices, and to make them deal with the consequences of their actions. It was the first to provide far more than the one-key-for-one-lock style of puzzle solving. It was groundbreaking, which is why IGN named it one of the top 25 PC games of all time, Computer Gaming World named it the Adventure Game of the year in 1988, and it was short-listed for inclusion in the Smithsonian Institution’s current “Art of the Computer Game” exhibition.

For Wasteland 2, we’re getting the band back together again!. Brian Fargo who Executive Produced both Wasteland and Fallout will be heading the team. Alan Pavlish and Mike Stackpole—the original game’s primary designers—are coming back to put the project together, and we’re rounding up as many of the other designers, like Ken St. Andre, as we can. On top of that, we’ll have music by Mark Morgan of Fallout 1 and 2 fame. The storyline for Wasteland 2 was written by Jason Anderson who was the co-creator of Fallout. We have also enlisted the help of the amazing concept artist, Andree Wallin to help craft the Wasteland 2 world.

Brian Fargo founded Interplay Productions (By Gamers, For Gamers) in 1983 where he went on to produce and finance some of the biggest RPG's made like Bard's Tale, Fallout 1 and 2, Stonekeep, Dragon Wars, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and more. Creating a new Wasteland will be a point of pride in the long history of games.

With your collective vision, the game that was the godfather to the popular Fallout series will become a reality. Not only will you fund the development, but you’ll have a voice in how the game goes together. We will have forums up for design discussion and soliciting your ideas for what will make Wasteland 2 rock.

tl;dr: Wasteland 2 will be an isometric RPG with meaningful choices, an old school feel, and has most of the original team working on it.

Oh, don't get your panties in a knot, I'm at work on my cell phone, I don't have time to read the whole thing right now :P

Reading is useful. Next time you could look at the first post to get your answer.

Reading is useful. Next time you could look at the first post to get your answer.

Hmmm need a computer so this can go into my sig although..... I ain't sure I might be pushing the sig size limits already :lol: