Kitting myself out with Koolance. First timer

ghostcorps

Hi Guys,

I was going to hold off upgrading to a full water setup for a little while, but due to temperature issues on my VRM I am forced to look into it a bit early.

Currently I have:

ASUS Sabertooth X79

Intel 3939K (4.7GHz)

Corsair H100

AMD HD7970

As is I can play games without any stress, the CPU doesn't go over 30% use. But, in the future this will change and I know that 50% use for more than 5 minutes puts the VRM past 80C and climbing fast. So I've decided to kit myself out with water and I figure it is best to stick with one manufacturer.

This is what I am looking at at the moment:

- Koolance MB-ASSTX79 Full Coverage Waterblock for the ASUS Sabertooth X79

- Koolance VID-AR797 Full Coverage Water Block the ATi Radeon HD 7970/7950

- Koolance Reservoir and Pump, RP-1200 - (Is the reservoir on this too small to run with with a CPU & GPU? It looks nice and convenient but seems a bit gimmicky, am I right?)

- Koolance Radiator, 2x140mm, Copper (HF) HX-CU1402V - (Is this too small to cool a CPU & GPU?)

All the connectors etc are a bit of a mystery, but I can work that out at the store.

So what is the consensus? Will this keep me cool for years to come or will I need a bigger rad and res?

Thanks for your time :)

What case do you have?

If you are custom cooling, why do you have a H100?

What is your budget? Where are you buying from? (site links please)

The koolance blocks are good and i will in some months time be getting the same mobo, cpu and gpu blocks.

For the radiator I'd probably go with the Swiftech MCR220, it's low fpi, and very efficient at low fan speeds, so it's quiet, and unlike other low fpi radiators it's only 32mm thick (most low fpi radiators are +40mm thick).

Then I'd probably change your pump out for a Swiftech MCP655, and a reservoir that goes with the new pump of course. The MCP655 is a fairly quiet pump with extremely high flow rates, which us important if you have multiple blocks in your loop.

Also it would be cool if you could sell your H100 and get a second radiator and a Koolance CPU-370 block, but I don't think it would make too big of a difference.

Thanks Guys,

StonerBoy:

My case is a Fractal Design Arc.

I bought the H100 cos I thought that would be all I needed for now as I was not going to water cool the GPU until next year. But it turns out that the VRM temperature shoots up past 80C within minutes at 50% load while the cores are fine at around 50-60C. If I get the Koolance CPU kit it comes with a VRM block and since I am going that route I am bringing the GPU upgrade forward and doing it all at once. Budget is $700 give or take $100.

NikoDG: I'll check out those radiators and pump. It looks like having a bigger pump will mean I can't use the fancy Koolance control module, which will save alot of money :)

[Edit:] I have found the XSPC X2O 750 looks nice and powerful. 750lpm and only 48db :) How does that compare to the Swiftech you suggested? I can not find its db output.

At this point I have found THIS ebay store with great prices, but if anyone has a better suggestion I am open.

Edited by ghostcorps

It is the midi, it is designed with more than enough space for the radiator at the top. I could put a three fan radiator in but I'd lose one drive bay.

I like the Swiftech gear too, but I can't find a decent stockist. If I could I'd wait for the swiftech hd7970 block also.

I am in Australia, but with the import duties and the strength of the dollar it saves me hundreds to buy from the US. :)

Well 48dB is an insane amount of noise, if you get that pump I guarantee you'll hate it :lol:

The MCP655 has almost double the flow rate 1200L/h, and at a much lower noise level (around 26dB).

I could set up a mock cooling loop for you once I get home if you like, I just need you to answer a couple questions so I know how to set it up.

How much space do you have for radiators if you sell off your H100? Maybe a 240mm and a 360mm? How would you like to fill your loop, a T-line or a reservoir? If a reservoir do you want an interior mounted reservoir or a drive bay reservoir? If a 5.25" drive bay reservoir, would you like one with pump integration? Also, how many 5.25" bays do you have free (not including the one you lose to your radiator)? How loud do you want your set-up (keep in mind a stock case fan at 100% is usually 17-19dB)?

If you can answer those questions for me I can probably come up with a pretty decent set-up for you.

Pccasegear buddy or gammods ;)

CPU Block - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=17663 - $85

GPU Block - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=19205 - $135 (cannot guarantee compatability with a 7950 I haven't bothered to check, I would recomend 7950 over 7970 tho.)

Mobo Block - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=19118 - $119

Pump - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=17662 - $99

Tube - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_160_853&products_id=19302 - $9 (this is just the clear get whatever colour you want)

Sell the h100 to someone and get the better rad and CPU block as well as far better pump.

yea I stopped short dinner now will help later.

If you are in melb and can make the drive to singly it's worth it for the savings on shipping from pccg

Stoner: I have the hd7970 :) PcCaseGear Is hell expensive compared to the us shops, even after postage.

I like frozencpu though, I'll give it a look when I get home.

Niko: Thanks for the tips, I'm out at the movies now, but will follow up later.

Edited by ghostcorps

Stoner: PcCaseGear Is hell expensive compared to the us shops, even after postage.

I like frozencpu though, ill give it a look when I get home.

Niko: thanks for the tips, i'm out at the movies now, but will follow up later.

Trust me it's really not when it comes to water-cooling

The postage from frozencpu to aus is insane. I get all my stuff from pccg helps they are only a short drive from me. However there shipping and their prices (when it comes to water-cooling parts) is far better than frozencpu.

I did a mock order on components from frozencpu and estimated shipping (purely because of the weight of water cooling gear) was in excess of $150.

In direct comparisons components here where either cheaper or only a few bucks more (fans and fittings excluded)

The GPU will be cheaper in the states but the cheapest place in aus is pccg. Unless you find a store that ships from states to aus you will be hard pressed to get your GPU from the states to aus without issues with customs. Edit : Need to wake up and read.

Just being honest with ya here.

Edited by Stonerboy779

I use staticice for my local parts, pccg is OK and is the only option for water parts but for the parts I listed is didnt come close to the ebay store I linked to earlier.

I got the Sapphire Radeon 7970 for $618 aud from ebay, with no wait time. :)

Ill get a new parts list together and do another shop around.

Here is a little mock up and comparison.

CPU-370 - PCCG - $85, FCPU - $88 +4

VID AR797 - PCCG - $135, FCPU - $130 -5

MB-ASSTX79 - PCCG - $119, FCPU - $119

MCR220-QP - PCCG - $59, FCPU - $58 -1

Variable D5 pump - PCCG - $99, FCPU - $105 +6

RP-452X2 - PCCG - $139, FCPU - $135 -4

Fittings and tubes

Primochill tubing - PCCG - $9 per m, FCPU - $2.25 per m (I hate this difference)

Bitspower barb -PCCG - $3.50, FCPU - $3.25

Bitspower compression - $11, FCPU - $9

Shipping from PCCG to Broome the above order $70 or only $27 to Sydney

FrozenCPU to just Sydney is $113

Please explain which is so much cheaper?

Granted there is far better selection from frozencpu than there is pccg although there is gammods and they have a few more items not much granted.

In terms of ever other component pretty much US will win on prices especially GPU, CPU, PSU and SSD.

Edit:

I use staticice for my local parts, pccg is OK and is the only option for water parts but for the parts I listed is didnt come close to the ebay store I linked to earlier.

I got the Sapphire Radeon 7970 for $618 aud from ebay, with no wait time. :)

Ill get a new parts list together and do another shop around.

Did you bother to click and change to Aus with a postcode I picked sydney and all the prices went up $10, $15 even $20. To begin with none of the prices I saw immediately were anything special or even below the ones on PCCG unless they included shipping... However when you make them include shipping to Aus they are not worth it.

Don't mean to shut you down just putting the comparisons out there for you.

Edited by Stonerboy779