Port Multiplier Function on eSATA

I just bought myself a Thermaltake BlacX duet HDD dock.

It supports eSATA, but when I opened the box, it has a notice that says my eSATA port must have Port Multiplier Function to use both HDD's in the bay at once.

I cant seem to find out if my board has that or not, and if it does, how/if I can turn it on?

I have a ASUS M4A79 DELUXE board w/ BIOS 1202 (can upgrade if needed)

If anyone can help me with this, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

If its an intel ICH9R or ICH10R your out of luck because intel doesn't support port multiplier spec... It does detect that there is a port multiplier connected as matrix storage manager says one is but also says it won't work and will only see the first drive.) Just about anything else does so if you have another sata chipset besides the onboard one provided by intel then take use of that. I happen to be lucky to own two DFI boards that both sport Jmicron JMB36x chipsets in addition to the intel chipset. The port multiplier also didn't work on my laptops eSATA which is also intel.

Edited by Compxpert

How can I tell if its that Intel your talking about?

P.S. I know this might sound dumb, but were you talking about the chipset? If so, which one?

Sorry, its been a long couple of days.

How can I tell if its that Intel your talking about?

P.S. I know this might sound dumb, but were you talking about the chipset? If so, which one?

Sorry, its been a long couple of days.

There might be hope for you since you use an AMD SB750 chipset. http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2600358

In order to use port multiplier though you must set the onboard controller to AHCI or RAID since port multiplier does not work in IDE mode.

I am currently not running RAID.

Will changing the onboard controller setting to AHCI or RAID affect my setup in any way?

If your currently using IDE switch to AHCI if you don't intend to use RAID but you might have a problem booting back into windows after the change... prior to that all you need to do is following for it to work. Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/244840-3...sata-ahci-vista

I researched this a bit more and discovered two resources with information on this. First a Microsoft Knowledgebase article describing how to enable the AHCI drivers via the registry:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Also information on how to force the load of the AHCI driver from the Windows GUI:

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet...hcisataide.aspx

I have not tried either of these yet. I plan to go the registry direction once I get a good image backup.

Simply apply it to your situation and it should work.

As for your actual question as to whether it will affect your setup... It might increase performance in AHCI mode but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Edited by Compxpert

Hmm...I have the SB700 in my machine not the SB750 I thought I did. The SB750 should work in AHCI mode. You should have it on anyway since it's faster (just make sure you install the driver first before rebooting and enabling it per the instructions above).

So, from what I've read.......

I enable AHCI via the instructions in Microsoft Support Page

Then I reboot the machine into BIOS

Enable AHCI via the BIOS Settings and Save

Reboot the machine and I should be good to go?

P.S. My HDD's & eSATA port are all on-board, not on an additional card.

I also just want to verify that I shouldn't need to download any additional drivers online, if so, where from and which ones?