5870 scoring 6.0 in WEI

Nodgiles

I know that WEI is not the greatest for determining the quality of your hardware. Im a bit shocked that my ATI 5870 only scored a 6.0 in both desktop and gaming graphics. Anyone have any idea why I would score so low? The rest of my system scored a 7.4.

core i7 920

ATI 5870

Asus P6T Deluxe

3x2GB DDR3

Im sure my score will go up once I overclock the system but that wont be for a while. I havent overclocked a system since my old AMD socket 939. Need to do a bit of research on this feature rich core i7 bios.

Edited by Nodgiles

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It could be a driver issue, but like you said, the Windows Index is not that great of a tool to determine anything. I wouldn't worry about it personally, but just make sure you're on the latest drivers for the card. I think 9.12 is the latest, but don't hold me to that.

I had a 7.3 with my 5850 stock clocks and I think up to 7.5 when it was OC'd

Doing a bit more reading and it looks like other users have also experienced this issue when using win7 64bit. Most are indicating that the drivers are the cause, but we have to wait for ATI to "fix" the 64bit drivers.

My friend has the same issue. He only scores a 6.1 with his 5870. Maybe it's just a windows problem with the 5870. I score a 7.7 with my HD 4890.

Fixed it. I fired up bioshock and it installed directx 10. I found it odd that with win7 it wasnt already installed. Curiously I re-ran the WEI and scored a 7.8

Isn't the problem here obvious?

It's too much awesome in one graphics card so Windows automatically rounds it to the number most associated with the depths of Hell.

...duh.

Thats awsome!

My WD 640GB Black only scores a 5.9 in WEI while the 250GB turd in my parents Compaq scores a 5.8. I know WEI is a joke but it still bugs the crap out of me.

• 2 weeks later...
My friend has the same issue. He only scores a 6.1 with his 5870. Maybe it's just a windows problem with the 5870. I score a 7.7 with my HD 4890.

I have the same problem! I am attahing the WEI screenshot. I use to score 7.7 with my 4890 and now it's 4.3 for some unknown reason. Does anybody knows why this happens? Thanks

post-70335-1262535451_thumb.jpg

Im having the same problem...I was getting 7.8 when I first installed my card. I played crysis at 1920x1080 for atleast 2 hours with absolutely no problems. Then, I play dirt 2 for a lil bit and run a few benchmarks on there with no problems. I install a few more things and I also install the 9.12 hotfix and now I get 6.0. Sometimes I get a 7.8 again...its not consistent.

Also, when I restart or shut down the screen sort of jumps for a fraction of a second right before it goes to the shutting down screen almost as if its struggling to do so, but like I said only for a fraction of a second. When I start up it does the same thing right before the desktop comes up but once the desktop comes up everything seems fine and all my games run silky smooth. I dont remember it doing the jumpy thing before start up and shut down prior to the hotfix...but now it does it with or without the hotfix. I even reinstalled windows 7 with a clean installation and it still does it and Im still getting the inconsistency in the Index for graphics. When I go to the "view and print detailed performance and system information" link right below the base score everything is correct except at the bottom it says DirectX version 10....shouldnt it say 11?

Previously I had a 4870x2 xfired with a 4870 and it didnt do the screen jumping thing...So im thinking its got to be the drivers for the 5870. I even tried the 9.11 drivers and there was no change... I got the card yesterday and Im pretty sure its not the card cause all my games run perfectly fine but if someone knows that it may be the card Id like to know so I could go ahead and rma this thing for another one.

The card is a diamond 5870

Thanks

Edited by Flosja